Tuesday, June 16, 2015

E3 2015 - Microsoft Press Conference

And so it came to pass, that a press conference that lived in infamy (for sucking) emboldened itself to present us with epic games, and news, and stuff like that.  Right, so enough of that.  I watched Microsoft's 2015 E3 Press Conference live yesterday on the IGN feed [www.ign.com/e3], and again now while I'm typing this, and a few things struck me about it.  Overall it seemed to be way more about the games and a lot less about the technology behind them.  I'm not going to go too far in depth to all the things, but I do have some thoughts about the big things.

Halo 5 looks good.  Well, actually, the demo looked like a new Halo game, all glowy and bloomy.   Drop-in drop-out co-op is a good feature to highlight and showing off Nathan Fillion in the game makes for a good trailer.  The test is in the playing however, and I'm not likely to play it any time soon.

XBOX ONE Backward compatibility is a smart move for Microsoft.  Pop in a disc, download the XBox ONE version and play, for free, if it's supported.  100 Games now, mostly popular ones and first party.  Good stuff, wish it was that easy on PS4 to PS3 games.

Let's talk about the Elite Controller too.  It reminds me of the crazy nut ball convertible controller for $300 that was released recently, but I can't remember who makes it. Adjustable buttons, paddles, exchangeable parts, and those green switches, whatever they do.  It looks interesting, but I'd like to know a little more about it, like how much it costs.

Tod Howard told us of the ability to use Mods for Fallout 4 from the PC on the Xbox.  Genius move, and should give the XBox Fallout more play time, and would almost make me want to buy an XBox.  Almost.  I like my PC and Playstation too much.

Electronic Arts dropped in and told us about EA Access.  $5 a month to get new titles before other people and 10% off EA games.  I wouldn't sign up for it cause I'm not a fan of sports games.  Cause that's like paying more to play games that aren't done.  Also they told us about Plant Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2, or as an EA lover would say: PvZ:GW2. Cause there aren't enough abbreviations in the world.

Ford shows off it's new GT and Henry Ford III shows off Forza 6. It does look like a lot of fun, and by now it's the ubiquitous driving game.  If you like the last one you should like this one.  If you want to drive super cars fast and own an XBox ONE this is the game to buy.

We had our first look at Dark Souls 3 here, with a trailer that needs further investigation, but E3 is so busy that I'll just have to watch it again later. I'll just leave a link to it here: [https://youtu.be/7OtAVElUljE]

Ubisoft showed off some games too, like Tom Clancy: The Division and Rainbow Six: Siege.  They do look like they play differently, but we can talk more about that from the Ubisoft Conference.

Gigantic is cool looking, and Free to Play on Windows 10 and XBox.  I'm a sucker for cell shaded games. Now we get into the rapid fire game section, ID@Xbox.  Ashen, an explore and solve puzzles game. Beyond Eyes, explore the world while blind, the trailier kind of reminds me of Unfiinished Swan's trailer, white screen and splashes of colour. Cuphead looks just stunning as a tribute to 1930's cartoons, and it looks to play like Contra.

Rise of the Tomb Raider trailer from Crystal Dynamics looked awesome here!  It started in a cave with a flare, and moved through slogging through snow, where Lara left marks in the snow! Then it went into ice climbing with timed events and finishing with showing of some other exploration options.  I so want to play this and I wasn't even expecting it to show up.

This is the time when you might expect the conference to be over, but no there's tons more!  Rare tugged at my heartstrings by showing off their new disc of old games.  30 full old Rare Games!  I loved playing Banjo Kazooie, and a whole bunch of other Nintendo branded Rare games, and I'd love to try this.  If only I could convince my wife that spending $600 for a console and a disc is worth it.  Rare also talked about a new game they have been working on called Sea of Thieves.  A Pirate game! The trailer was great, and really drove home the piratey feel.  It looks like you can run a tall ship with your friends and go on piratical adventures together.

Fable Legends and Gears of War 4 got trotted out too along with all these other great games, I'm just worried that with all these games in one press conferenece that maybe I missed something.  Or maybe we all missed some things and we'll have to find out what it is from other sources.'

Now we come to the hardware section, which really is more of a "Look what Minecraft can do using HoloLens"  I'd have liked to see more about this, like some of the technical specifications of the holo lens, more of how it works, and I'd really like to try it before buying it.  Wish I was at E3.

Anyway now we come to the nitty gritty of the conference.  Did it pass mustard?  Yes.  I look forward to gaming on Windows 10, and there are a few games that were marketed for it in this conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment