Tuesday, June 16, 2015

E3 2015 - Electronic Arts Press Conference

I remember a time when Electronic Arts was the only game company I liked.  Nobody else made games like they did.  No one else had the man power, or the know how, or the gumption to make games like Electronic Arts.  Those days of one GIANT studio making literally hundreds of games has disappeared with the millennium, and lately we have been given mediocre games with little heart, with a few exceptions from some of EA's smaller studios.  This year is different though.  It's as if the entire company has decided to care again, and we are getting new and interesting games like Unravel.

The Conference started with Mass Effect Andromeda, I'm not familiar with the franchise, and yet it's been presented as if I should know all about it already.  There's space, planets, shooting, and.... um.... other people?  Honestly I have no idea.

Next along comes the new Need For Speed game.  It looks great, and I think they are bringing back the story mode.  Reminds me more of NFS: Underground, and I really hope it stands up to those games better than Rivals ever did.  The trailer shows off more story elements, more customization, and more fun! Well at least that's the hope.

Star Wars the Old Republic is getting an expansion called Knights of the Fallen Empire, with better storytelling, more like BioWare's storytelling.  Coming out October 2015.  This trailer has twins who Jedi together and drift apart.  Check it here: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHW4sn5J-Y]

The guy who introduces us with Unravel looked so nervous!  His hands were shaking so bad when he brought out Yarny!  I think it was awesome to hear about how he pretty well invented Yarny and Unravel two summers before on a trip to the woods with his family.  It really brings it down to a personal level that I feel EA has been missing lately (ahem, SimCity and DRM).

I started laughing when the super Zombie came out and started preening.  I don't think anyone else did though.  Good introduction to PvZ:GW2 which is the abbreviation for Plants Versus Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 I have chose to use.  The Microsoft conference told us that it will be an exclusive to XBox ONE, and this one gives us a first look at actual gameplay, and from the zombie's perspective no less. My wife wants to try this one, but there's no way we'd buy the XBox ONE just for this game.

So I didn't pay much attention to the NHL game, I know I know, a Canadian who doesn't like hockey? What gives? Well honestly I've played almost every one since 1994 and still it doesn't make me smile.  My friends are all WAY better at sports games than me and I can never win.  It's so bad that I won't even play them with other people anymore.  I'll rent one ever once in a while and try out what's new, but I just won't buy them.  NHL, NBA Live, Madden, and FIFA all fall into that same category of "Why bother I won't win".  Got to admit though that NBA Live's Game Face looks good, and I hope it makes it into EA's PGA Pro Tour Golf game.

Star Wars has a new Mobile game, and I don't want to gloss over Galaxy of Heroes, but there really isn't any information to glean from the press conference.  I like building games, and Minions Paradise looks like it will be fun.  Building up a tropical island from scratch and watching minions cavorting around and doing things looks so fun.  I loved Simpsons: Tapped Out from EA, so with all that practice from that game this one should shine.

PELE!!!!!!!! Yes he scores again, with a sit down chat about his life, and how he coined the term "The Beautiful Game" as an expression of Soccer, as opposed to American Football.  I loved that they introduced Pele involvment with the new Fifa game this way.  And I would not mind trying this game at least once.  I wouldn't be able to tell what's different from one to another, not playing sports games much.

We get an introduction to the new Mirror's Edge game here, andit looks beautiful!  Frostbite definitely has a lot going for it, and the colour on white aesthetic is still here. A free roam open world is a great idea for Mirror's Edge, I'd like to go jump around my home town in the same way Faith does in hers.

Oh look Madden... who cares? Fantasy draft? Wide Receivers? Back back? Whatever....

Frostbite Engine! Star Wars Battlefront!  too much to talk about!

Does it pass mustard? Yes it does!  Despite the slight emphasis on sports (which is inevitable it's half their business) and no showing whatsoever from EA Active, I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment